Conservatorship Attorney Santa Clarita, CA

When disabled or infirmed adults can no longer provide safe and effective self-care, another person in their life will need to step up and help. This other person can obtain authority and power to act on behalf of the infirmed adult through a process called conservatorship. At the Law Offices of Andrew Cohen, our qualified and experienced team is ready to help when you need a Santa Clarita conservatorship attorney. We understand conservatorship laws in California, and we want to ensure this is done correctly and in the best interests of you and your loved one.

Why May A Conservatorship Be Needed?

A general conservatorship in Santa Clarita, California, may be needed if an adult is unable to care for themselves or their finances due to their age or disability. A limited conservatorship may be needed when an adult is unable to manage some, but maybe not all, of their daily living.

Who Can Serve As A Conservator?

The conservatorship process in California is handled through the courts. One person (the conservator) is appointed to be the decision-maker and manage the finances of another person (the conservatee). When a conservatorship is needed immediately, the court has the ability to grant a temporary conservator and then eventually appoint a general conservator. A Santa Clarita conservatorship attorney will be able to handle this entire process for you.

Various people may petition the courts to act as conservators in California. This includes:

  • The spouse of the proposed conservatee
  • Another relative of the proposed conservatee
  • A friend of the conservatee
  • A private professional with a fiduciary duty to the proposed conservatee

Additionally, the proposed conservatee may, themselves, propose a conservatorship over their finances and daily lives. When applying for a conservatorship, it needs to be determined whether the conservatorship will be over the person or the person’s entire estate. A conservatorship can be over both.

  • A conservatorship over a person oversees the conservatee’s physical needs
  • A conservatorship over an estate oversees the conservatee’s financial matters

Why You Should Work With An Attorney For A Santa Clarita Conservatorship

If you have a family member who has not established an estate plan for themselves and is not able to manage their own finances (due to disability or age), then it is advisable to seek assistance from a family care needs attorney.

When it becomes apparent that a loved one is beginning to lose, or has already lost, the ability to care for themselves, other parties could take advantage of them. An attorney will help handle this matter in a compassionate way and in the best interests of the proposed conservatee.

Call Us For A Free Consultation Of Your Case Today

If you or somebody you loved needs help to establish a conservatorship over an infirmed adult, please seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At the Law Offices of Andrew Cohen, we understand that these are sensitive issues, and we want to help you get through this. Our Santa Clarita conservatorship attorneys will handle every aspect of this for you. You can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling 661-481-0100.

Contact Us

* Fields are required
By clicking submit you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.